Thread: Pain med help
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Lilasmom ~ So many people have a skewed idea about opiates and antidepressants. First, the opiates don't makes you a zombie if you take them as prescribed. The doctor won't put you on a high dosage. He'll put you on a dosage high enough to help with your pain, but not MAKE you a zombie. The opiate will work on the PAIN, not on your head. When you take it for pain, it doesn't effect your head. I take OpanaER, 40mg twice a day, and I feel NOTHING in the head. When I expect to drive, I don't take it because I can't say for sure that my reaction time isn't effected. So I wait until I come home before I take it. As for the antidepressant, that just brings you back to a "normal" state. You feel like you would if you weren't depressed -- that's all. Sometimes the chemicals in our brain get screwed up, and they have to have some help. The antidepressant does that. Perhaps you just need a temporary antidepressant. Some people do -- they go thru a rough period in their lives, and the medication helps. With me, I have clinical depression, which means I don't HAVE the chemicals in my brain and I need the medication to replace them. I've been on the medication for about 40 years. I'll be on it the rest of my life. Without it, I fall into the pits of despair.

I wish you the very best. I hope you get some relief. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (03-25-2013)