View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 04:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default to have surgery or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxyqck06 View Post
Hi I am new to this forum but I need to figure out if I should have this surgery. I recently had MRI's done that showed I am borderline chiari malformation and also have several syrinx in my spinal cord. I have always had neck pain, shoulder pain, and headaches but I didn't think it was too serious because they would always go away. I eventually ended up getting my neck checked because my health insurance is running out shortly. My mom's neurosurgeon (who she has had great results from her neck and back surgery) basically told me to live my life and to redo my scans in a year and see where we stand because I was borderline and haven't had too many serious problems yet. I have been researching the topics and realized I have more symptoms related to this then I thought. A lot of the symptoms I have brushed off for years not thinking too much into it, until now. So I'm going back to the neurosurgeon to talk with him.

My question is... I do not have severe symptoms right now, however; I am aware of the possibility of this getting worst and turning into a big problem later in life. Also, I am aware of the fact I could be worst off after surgery due complications and such. Should I get the surgery now? Instead of waiting to see if the major symptoms hit me? Help please, I'm scared to have the surgery and scared to wait Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Also, my health insurance is going to run out within a year so I need to make a decision soon.
I am somewhat in the same boat, still needing a firm diagnosis of chiari. My symptoms fall into the chiari category as well....fatigue, unblanced feeling, headaches behind the eyes, and ringing in the ears. Mine all started with a whiplash concussion 13 years ago. Weird deal with me is that up to this point, the symptoms would always go away, and then start again when I would get a fever. But, for me, my daily living is affected enough where I would get it. Thinking about living the rest of my life knowing each day is a challenge is scary. Even if I could cut my symptoms in half I'd go for it. I guess it comes down to your age somewhat....your ability to recover, and to think long term about how long you would want the status quo.
Bret Borth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote