View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So, the results are in...

I went in to the vascular lab today to have my post-op Doppler Ultrasound to see what surgery has done for (to?) me.
My left side has been successfully decompressed- at least from a vascular standpoint. I can say that some of the neurogenic problems (in my arm at least) seems to be better. My right side is no longer compressed in the areas it was compressed pre-surgery but is compressed in new ways post surgery. I was told this could be due to scar tissue formation or possible pectoralis minor syndrome. I'll see the doctor on Friday and will be told at that point what, if any, action is going to be taken.
I'm not responding to PT mostly. My range of motion is back but my pain levels are the same though the pain no longer radiates into my arms unless I've been overly active. Right now my shoulder blades are absolutely killing me because they're riddled with knots. My neck is so knotted up that it's pressing my hyoid into my trachea causing a choking feeling.
On top of that, I'm having some weird symptoms. They seem to correlate with the surgery but they're so strange that I can't imagine how they could possibly be connected. I'm tired all the time. Mentally and physically fatigued. I nap during the afternoon for a couple hours quite often and wake up drained and sandy-eyed. But sometimes, I can't sleep at all and am up until 3:30am begging for sleep. I'm not able to safely drive anymore. I lack the concentration, visual memory, and alertness to do so safely. When I have driven, it feels like I'm on complete autopilot and like none of my actions are conscious decisions I'm making. The other day I was driving to PT only a few miles away from my home and didn't remember where I was on the road. Nothing looked familiar. This is a road I've driven hundreds of times and have been in the area of for over a decade. My muscles from the waist to my neck including my arms all feel stiff and like they have to move as one (as though I'm wearing super tight jeans and a corset) There's no fluidity in the way I move. The thought of reaching for anything in which I have to raise my elbows up from rest is exhausting. So is getting out of the car. To the point where I was in tears the other day when I realized I left the house without the debit card and knew I'd have to drive back up the road, walk up the stairs and go back. I almost didn't go back out at all. I've also been having additional nerve pain over my hips, in my butt, and at the tops of my feet. Also intensified nerve pain sometimes in my upper arm but not like it used to be and not all the time. I'm also getting sharp pains down the side of my neck.
Before surgery, at least my symptoms were all somewhat contained. I knew that it was one problem that just needed a name. Now, they are so widespread I feel like I must be going insane.
Just thought I'd share an update.
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote