View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Good points indeed!!

I imagine there are many variables...like those reports when in fact it was something else causing the reaction (another drug or disease process) or that the drug wasn't taken properly. I also think there may be fewer good patient reports in surveys because people don't online to say something good resulted...but they do report negatives...IMO People 'expect' the meds to work, so complain when they don't, and just drive on with their life when they do.

By in large, doctors don't tell patients everything (or much at all in some cases) they should about the drugs they hand out...some like candy. I have had to ASK/INSIST for doctors to sit down and go over drugs I'm taking for interactions, etc...they don't automatically do it. Then I research them online as well.

Plaquenil does have some toxicity potentials...especially (rare) but very serious ones regarding vision. Anyone taking it should have complete eye exams and field of vision screenings every 6 months to 1 year (I do 6 mos). However, Plaquenil is on the lower end of the treatment scale and usually well tolerated compared to other options for managing AI disease (methotrexate, general immune suppression via cellcept and others like it, Rituxin/Rituximab, etc). Tough choices for tough diseases either way you look at it. It all comes down to what you said before...benefit vs risk assessment.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Synnove (03-20-2013)