View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi MsRRio,

I have not had one of these but have had a few assessments by doctors ordered by my long term insurance company in the past. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what they were called so maybe it was the same thing. This was when I was off with Fibromyalgia about 15 years ago, not PCS, but it is very similar in that you look normal with it, there are no tests for it and doctors don't believe in it. I went to the appointment thinking, this is it I'm going to be cut off and I won't have any way to support myself. I was then a single mother. The anxiety and worry was terrible.

I had to get a ride to the appointment, about an hour away, and I was there the whole day. They did treadmill stuff, physical tests (squats,etc.) and asked a LOT of questions. The questions were probably similar to the ones you answered at your neuropsych testing... are you on drugs, are you lazy and looking for money, are you doing other work while on disability, etc. They don't come right out and ask you, they're trick questions!

They wanted to know what I did all day, what I did for a living, etc. It was a VERY long day and totally exhausting but they treated me well and I didn't feel put down or judged. I did the best I could with everything and answered all the questions. I agree that you have to try your absolute hardest because they are looking for people that aren't trying to get better or are faking it.

Make sure you mention that the testing is going to make you worse for days afterwards. I was given a phone number to call if I had any increase in symptoms afterwards and I made sure I called and told them.

I did not have anyone with me. I also agree with what Concussion (I think) said, you need to get your own doctors notes also. You can't just go on their doctors reports. Find a neuropsycologist with concussion experience and get their help. On top of getting help with your WC case you can also get help to get better.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important part of my writing,.... I was NOT cut off my long term disability. It was approved and I continued to try to get my life back. I eventually succeeded and got back to work. All you can do is be honest, show them how sick you are and hope they're humans and not just WCB slaves. You thought you were going to be denied before and you weren't so maybe the same thing will happen here.

Make sure you have plans in place (food prepared or frozen stuff) so that you can rest for a couple days afterwards. You'll need it.

Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes.

CC

Ongoing symptoms include: dizziness, blurred vision, light and noise sensitivities, cognitive problems, uncontrollable emotions/depression/anxiety, headaches (but they're getting better), mental and physical fatigue, difficulty communicating and sleep disturbances.

Currently seeing a fabulous Neuro Psychologist and vestibular physiotherapist and hoping to soon see a neuro ophthalmologist. I am currently doing 20 minute stationary bike rides daily, 20 minutes of meditating, 15 minutes of Lumosity and lots of resting. I have not been able to work or drive since the accident.

The things that have helped me the most since the accident are vestibular therapy, gel eye drops (for blurred vision, sensitivity and dryness), amitriptyline (10mg), and meditating. I am finally starting to see some slight improvements and am hopeful!

My brain WANTS to heal itself... I just have to let it and stop trying to get better!
cyclecrash is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote