View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Recently diagnosed

I was recently diagnosed with Idiopathic PN at the Mayo Clinic. My neurologist did the nerve conduction study and ran several blood tests to check my levels of vitamin B and E and for diabetes. However they all came back normal.

She said the next step was to put me on an "anti-depressant" used to treat PN. I told her that I didn't want to start with an anti-depressant. That I really wanted more testing to see if we could figure out "why" I have this in the first place before committing to a drug that has side effects.

I just turned 50, have never drank, didn't do drugs, was physically fit so none of this made sense. When I asked her for additional blood tests to check for Lyme or a Gluten sensitivity she said that my regular doctor could do those if I wanted to. When I asked about maybe a MRI or CTSCAN she said that I could see an Ortho for those tests.

I was so frustrated, both with her and myself. I wish that I had pushed harder. What was the point of traveling to a "World Class Facility" only to be told to see my regular doctor. It was as if she was saying "I told you it's Idiopathic PN, now take this pain med and go away". With so many people experiencing this you would think that doctor's would be more open to figuring out what specifically is each person's cause.

I really appreciate finding this site and reading all of the great information that others have posted. It gives me hope that I will find a doctor willing to do more than just pat me on the head and write out a prescription.

Thank you all for your posts.
April1275 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote