View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face Sorry u are having a hard time!

I'm lucky that I haven't had to go back to work. I know that I would be a much much worse if I had to. The way my eyes are, I know that there is no way I can work in flourescent lighting right now. I'm hoping and praying it gets better.

If you absolutely must work, I think all you can do is try to reduce your hours and wear sunglasses at work. I wore sunglasses at work for about a year before I went on medical leave. My boss made fun of me, and I'm sure some people thought I was weird, but it was worth it. I still had headaches, I'm not going to lie, but it would've been much worse without them.

If there is any way to not work, that's the best thing to do. I worked with postconcussion syndrome for many months before I took medical leave, and my cognitive symptoms didn't resolve until after not working for almost six months. I still have vision related issues I'm addressing with therapy. That said, other ideas I had for dealing with work after the fact:

If you can get away and go to your car or another quiet place for a few minutes several times during the day or just over lunch, to shut your eyes and relax, do it. I persisted in going to lunch with coworkers and I shouldn't have. I couldn't enjoy myself or participate in the conversation, so there was no point in me being there anyway!

Institute failsafe measures, if you can, to stop yourself from making errors. I was too out of it to figure this out for myself, but it would've been pretty easy to do. Everyone's job is different, so you might not be able to do this, but do it if you can.

If you have a trusted coworker/friend, ask them to keep an eye out for you. I had a friend like this, and it was helpful. I asked for her help when I was feeling confused and asked for her view on things when I was unsure of myself. She was a good friend to me. At that point, I didn't even realize what was wrong with me, so she was being a good friend even without me having a diagnosis.

Good luck to you!
DFayesMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MiaVita2012 (03-20-2013), MsRriO (03-20-2013)