View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Tongue The Silly Questions

I was recently diagnosed with Syringomyelia without chiari malformation. I'm still getting the run around about what did cause/ is causing my syrinx(es) I don't want to get into it all right now.
Ok, I'm going to start out with some kinda silly questions... Like:

Can I still do yoga? I've read some places that twisting or bending the spine is a really bad idea with syringomyelia... True?

Medications- has anyone had good experiences with any medications for pain? Most of the time I feel like someone is trying to rip my shoulder blades apart but nothing seems to help. They've prescribed lyrica, robaxin, ultram, flexeril, mobic, even lortab... a couple of which knock me out but I don't want that most of the time, I just wish something would help take the edge off for those days when I wake up crying..

Rollarcoasters? Am I now one of the "do not participate if you have-" blank qualified?

Swimming- I know overhead strokes are painful as &#@% but would just floating around and maybe underwater froggy style be ok?

Looking up/ over shoulder/ down? Anything specific to avoid?

How do I find out my limits? Like, who says "you can't lift over x pounds or stand up for x minutes, etc" ? Or do I just always test myself? I mean, I know when things go numb to stop doing that, or when I get vertigo to sit down... I'm just curious if there's a chart or something... or should I just not do any of that?

Anything else I should know, in general?
Sugarcaned is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote