View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Recurrence of symptoms and second surgery

Hey there. This is my first post though I have read many threads over the years. Short background on me - I was diagnosed with TOS in September 2008 after 10 years of worsening chronic pain. I had a first rib re-section by Dr. Hugh Gelabert at UCLA in April 2009. I recovered and was essentially symptom free with occassional mild flare-ups for 3.5 years. Then November came.

My symptoms have returned. I tried working through it for 3 months but finally went on disability in February. I have done almost 2 months of PT with little improvement of symptoms. Scalene block helped a little but not enough (same as 4 years ago). Botox seems like a temporary fix and not worth it for me. I am having a new SSEP done Monday and Dr. Gelabert is leaning toward surgery again - a full scalenectomy and removal of any scar tissue that might be there.

Has anyone else had a recurrence of symptoms years later and then surgery again?

I REALLY don't want to go through another surgery, especially as this seems more invasive (the first was underarm) but I am not sure what else to do. I am also very limited because this is going through WC and they don't love throwing you money for various doctors, physical therapists, etc.
sec161 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote