View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 12:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarcaned View Post
I was recently diagnosed with Syringomyelia without chiari malformation. I'm still getting the run around about what did cause/ is causing my syrinx(es) I don't want to get into it all right now.
Ok, I'm going to start out with some kinda silly questions... Like:

Can I still do yoga? I've read some places that twisting or bending the spine is a really bad idea with syringomyelia... True?

Medications- has anyone had good experiences with any medications for pain? Most of the time I feel like someone is trying to rip my shoulder blades apart but nothing seems to help. They've prescribed lyrica, robaxin, ultram, flexeril, mobic, even lortab... a couple of which knock me out but I don't want that most of the time, I just wish something would help take the edge off for those days when I wake up crying..

Rollarcoasters? Am I now one of the "do not participate if you have-" blank qualified?

Swimming- I know overhead strokes are painful as &#@% but would just floating around and maybe underwater froggy style be ok?

Looking up/ over shoulder/ down? Anything specific to avoid?

How do I find out my limits? Like, who says "you can't lift over x pounds or stand up for x minutes, etc" ? Or do I just always test myself? I mean, I know when things go numb to stop doing that, or when I get vertigo to sit down... I'm just curious if there's a chart or something... or should I just not do any of that?

Anything else I should know, in general?
No charts.

If you cause symptoms, its not good. If It hurts, don't do it. In my experience if you cause symptoms you will worsen the injury to the nerves. I know for a fact as I have clearly worsened my symptoms with overhead work.

No rollercoasters.

Yoga, does it cause you symptoms?
Careful with strenuous activity.

For me pain meds are not good as I am active as can be and would get on a skateboard tomorrow if I could, not to mention motorcycles, travel, carry suitcases, travel, finish building my house..
If I take pain meds I will cause injury as I will push the limit due to less pain. Pain is the body's alarm system. It is very hard to stop but better for you long term. You really don't want to take stronger pain meds then those you have tried unless you got constant pain and you can't get up and you can't function. If there is anyway to function with less pain medication then go that route. The strong meds have a lot of long-term side effects. The longer you take them the worse it gets.
syrinx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote