View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarcaned View Post
I guess I wasn't clear, I really don't want stronger medicines, I want something that.will help without knocking me out. I guess maybe that doesn't exist. I don't take anything on a regular basis. I was on lyrica for months and all that did was make me gain weight so my new neurologist took me off it. I do have pills for pain but I have only tried them once or twice each, because all they seem to do is make me sleep
Yes, I also gained weight from lyrica. Gained some, then stabilized. It seems to be the only thing that does something better then nothing. I take it and lots of ibuprofen. I have the strong narcotic stuff which I save for the bad moments. Pretty much all narcotic painkiller will knock you out and make you physically dependent. That in itself is a problem as when ever there is not enough medicine in your body you get withdrawal symptoms that stack on top of the problems you already have.

Edit: I like to add that I have been through all the strong meds and this is how I came to the conclusion that pain management using these drugs comes at a tradeoff that one has to carefully weigh. Some of them would knock me out so much I couldn't even drive. My wife had to take me everywhere, no work. I have had lots of back pain problems and 2 mayor spine surgeries (anterior fusions and artificial discs). The surgeries did help me more then pills. Both times. The neurological problems I get from the syringomyelia there are literally no pills that can deal with this thing.

Last edited by syrinx; 03-22-2013 at 07:06 PM.
syrinx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote