View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 04:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Thanks for posting this....I seem to remember the same doggone thing happened in Alz. research with the protein they were targeting there....reduce that protein's plaques/tangles/whatever you want to call them....and people got worse. And fast.

I have always wondered if maybe the a-syn was formed as a protective mechanism...but never read anything to support this. Complicating things is the fact that they have found lewy bodies (the name for the clumps of a-syn, if I'm not mistaken) in people who never had symptoms of PD and they have not found them in people were diagnosed and being treated for PD.
The presence of lewy bodies in the brain upon autopsy has long been the only way to actually confirm a Parkinson's diagnosis. More recently, and supporting "Braak's staging", autopsies have shown lewy bodies more widely distributed, including in the gut.

From what I have read and been told, a-syn is a key to PD, but it is still unknown whether it's presence is protective or damaging.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote