View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

With over 100 causes of PN, there are not going to be many
people who have improved, whose story is going to help everyone. Each person is unique.

Basically if you 1) get rid of triggers, and toxins,
2) fix any secondary cause like diabetes, or vitamin deficiencies,
thyroid problems, etc. -- you will at least arrest progression and/or improve. But 100% improvement is not likely for anyone.

If you have a hereditary PN, there is no known treatment at this time (besides symptom reduction). There are triggers and drugs to AVOID but little evidence of improvement once those triggers have done their dastardly work.

When I fixed my thyroid problem, I still had some residual PN. Nothing horrible, but still some numbness in 2 toes of each foot.
My recent bout with my blood pressure medications, set me back a bit, but now I am having less burning.

Basically PN is an environmental problem. (except for the hereditary folks, but still for them they have environmental and toxin triggers too). You will find if you search here, some people become more able to function daily once they fix their particular problem. But it takes motivation, and will, and energy to become your own advocate and some do not choose that path. Sadly many doctors don't offer much either.

There is no cure. But you can feel better, have less pain, and hopefully less progression if you work towards that goal.

Your most likely improvements will come from fixing nutrient deficiencies and adjusting diet to get rid of sugar and perhaps gluten if gluten is your trigger. If you continue with a drug, or toxin exposure, your chances of improvement are much less if that drug or toxin is your problem.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (03-26-2013), Icehouse (03-23-2013)