View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It should be noted that everyone is different with RSD.

I had RSD in my foot, went into PT evaluation for Fibro in my neck and shoulders. The evaluator was checking my range of motion in my shoulder and kept telling me to stretch further - come on you can do it - further - further... Just doing the evaluation spread the RSD into my neck and shoulder, where it is still, after several years, MUCH worse than my original site. When I left the evaluation, I sat in my car, and could not use my left arm to close my car door. Something was drastically wrong - my arm would never be the same.

After the RSD was diagnosed in that shoulder, I was put in PT that believed in pushing you past the pain. They had me in so much pain I was vomiting during sessions. I finally quit. I was a LOT worse in my range of motion and pain than when I started weeks and weeks before.

Some people may be able to heal after "pushing past the pain" but other may become worse after this type of thinking.

Just sayin' ....

I have found a compromise of going just to the edge of extreme pain and backing off. I do a routine of stretches an Occupational Therapist developed for me that IS familiar with RSD and works with a well known RSD treatment program. She told me never to work to the point of feeling worse pain, go just to that point, and back off. Eventually, my movement and pain would get better. Given time, it has improved some, but more important to me, it is not worse.

It's been many years now... I have regained about half the range of motion of my frozen shoulder. Am I 100% - no. But, I think if I had continued in the PT that had me vomiting - I would not have the use of my arm that I have today.

RSD is very individualized. For some of us "pushing past the pain" is the wrong thing. Slow and steady wins the race, not hard and painful.

Medications, therapy - all treatments for RSD - vary so much between people.

Last edited by daylilyfan; 03-24-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: clarity
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (03-24-2013), catra121 (03-24-2013), finz (04-01-2013), mollymoo123 (03-24-2013), wswells (04-22-2013)