View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 12:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Identical twins but only one with PD

At JohnT's request here is some information about my identical twin who does not have PD and I. He wanted to know if he has any PD symptoms and how our lives differed. He suggested I start a thread.

My brother has taken the UPDRS and came out normal on everything.

Our lives were pretty much the same in terms of environment and behavior until early adulthood. He has been married to the same woman since the late 60's. I was divorced once and my second wife died of cancer in 2010, about the same time this malady made itself known. I also took care of our dying parents as he lives on the east coast and we live in California. All things considered his life has been more stress-free.

He went into the intelligence business with the government and I became a pharmacist. My presumption is that I have had more exposure to chemicals than he. In addition, I have taken handfuls of supplements since the '80's and he hasn't. I also used to experiment with brain machines such as sound and light, cranial electrostimulators, psychoacoustic tapes and CD's, etc. He didn't. He did meditation and spiritual practices more than I.

I traveled abroad and lived in Germany and Italy. He traveled but did not live overseas. I was probably more physically active with skiing, backpacking, etc.

My left foot was injured on several occasions. I was knocked unconscious by falling rocks in a canyon I was exploring. As far as I know he has not had any similar experiences.

We were both sick with infections as children fairy often starting when we were born prematurely and almost died. As I mentioned I kept a lot of birds but do not recall any unusual infections from them.

Currently he has prostate issues and arthritis, not uncommon at 64. I don't have those.

If I can think of any significant differences I have forgotten I will add it later.
GerryW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bob Dawson (03-25-2013), johnt (03-24-2013), Stand Tall (03-24-2013)