View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Very interesting article. I have to admit that I spend several hours a week searching on the internet, various aspects of this disease (MG) trying to understand it better. This week I have been focusing on the cause of autoimmunity in general and why women are affected so much more than men.

I always thought that my MG may have started with my pregnancy 15 years ago. During the last trimester, my hip muscles became very weak to the point I could not walk. After my C-section the weakness continued. I had PT for a year and it took me years to regain my muscle strength. When I had my hysterectomy last year, it triggered the extreme weakness I have now.

So I thought the pregnancy and cells crossing the blood barrier triggered an immune response. The surgery (c-section) caused more inflammation and immune response. And then the surgery last year triggered an even greater immune response.

Current therories say that female hormone estrogen causes a higher immune response. They also have the theory of pregnancy causing an immune response from exposure to fetal cells. I also saw some articles about immunity being carried on the X gene and since women have 2 we have a higher probabliity or having 1 or more alleles with an over active immunity. It seems genetics has predisposed women to this type of disease.

This somehow made me feel better: Knowing that what innately makes me a woman also made me more likely to get this disease, because I would have given up anything for the joy my daughter has brought me, even paying for it the rest of my life with a devastating disease like MG.

Now I also know it is because some distant cousin may have been a Neanderthal too! Why am I not surprised. Must have been on my farther's side

Thanks for the article and keep them coming.
kathie
cait24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote