View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy son having pain...concerned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadiee-x View Post
hi cath,
Ive since found the cause of the problem, well an appropriate way of resolving the pain anyways.
im having my VP shunt converted to a VA shunt, my neurosurgeon spotted a build up of fluid in my abdomen (ascites) and this could have been what is causing the pain. Even if this is not what is causing the pain and it is infact the tube digging into the abdomen or organs, this will also resolve as the distal end will go into the heart instead of the peritoneum.
perhaps you could suggest this to your neurosurgeon too
will be happy to chat if you need to know anything.
Hi everyone-
My son is reporting consistent and uncomfortable stabbing-like pain in the area above his shunt incision in his abdomen. (He is 18 and has had shunt since age 1, several revisions over the years.) This is a new thing though...so we're concerned. No headache, fever (which is good) - but these posts make me wonder about a fluid cyst or a kink or deterioration of the tube or....?? Here is my question: will an xray of his abdomen (our hospital does these every few years, a "shunt series", head + stomach) show a cyst?? Or even a kink or the condition of the shunt tubing??

Thanks for any info you have. So excited to find this forum, so we may all help each other with 'real life' experience!!!
lindacozz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote