View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 12:30 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face Possible Lumbar Fusion in My Future

Hello. I am new to this forum. I am concerned about the possibility of a lumbar fusion in the near future. I have had four back surgeries (3 lumbar microdiscectomies and 1 cervical fusion). The cervical fusion has been a success. Still have some residual pain from time to time, but nothing like before the surgery. However, the lumbar spine has not been as successful with the microdiscectomies.

Had one in 2010 and two in 2011 (levels L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1). The L3-L4 level has proven successful. The L5-S1 level was not a success and I am not sure about the L4-L5 level as I am currently experiencing bilateral sciatic pain with some sporadic tingling of left foot. I also have a sharp pain shooting from level of L5-S1 when even slightly bending from the waist and putting weight on left foot.

I am currently in PT. Have had one PT session which resulted in increased sciatic pain and pelvic pain near groin. Was unable to go to PT last week at all due to pain. I have alerted PT of the problem and called my GP. Was told to return to PT, but back off on intensity. I see GP on Thursday. She will reassess then. I am asking for your input on my situation. I have had epidurals in past at these levels, but not since the surgeries. I am worried about a fusion, as I don't see any other answer....if you call that an answer. I have been through much with my back and understand a lot of the medical terminology, as I was a radiology transcriptionist for 14 years. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
NERVEWRACKED is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote