View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfff2020 View Post
I'm sorry if constant or near constant movement isn't working for everyone....Now that I'm active I'm also looking for ways to spread the word about RSD but more importantly people need to know it must be moved...
I am really happy for you that you have had success with your pushing through the pain program.

What I was taught at Cleveland Clinic is to keep moving and stretching, walking etc. But not to the point where the pain is worse. You need to push just enough to find where that point is and back off a bit, but keep doing it. Gradually that point moves a little bit further. It's been a slow way to go, but I keep plugging along. For me, I truly believe if I had kept on the path of no pain - no gain or push past the pain, my spread would have been much more rapid.

Everyone is different with RSD. That's one reason it makes it so difficult for Doctors to treat us. Different doctors have different opinions and approaches. I have learned to look up treatments, medications etc. on my own before I try nothing new.

This Comprehensive overview of RSD co-authored by Dr. Schwartzmn covers a lot about RSD. It says this about physical therapy and RSD on page 25 in the section on physical therapy.

"Therapist and patient should be instructed to avoid exercises that exacerbate the pain."

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy)
by Dennis D. Dey, MD, PhD; and
Robert J. Schwartzman, MD
module updated 2012-07-06

https://www.edsers.com/uploads/RSD.pdf
----------------------
That being said, I do wish you would continue posting about your progress. It's so encouraging to see someone actually having improvement.

I used to play a hammered dulcimer. I played standing up. When I got RSD in my foot, I learned to play sitting. Well, now that RSD is in my arm, neck and upper back - I can't play at all. I can't even tune the thing because it takes both hands (it has 144 strings). BUT - I refuse to sell it. I have NOT given up hope that someday I will play again!

Last edited by daylilyfan; 03-25-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Clarity
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bfff2020 (03-28-2013), Brambledog (04-26-2013), wswells (04-22-2013)