View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Cathie

I haven't had as many emg/nc exams as other members of the forum but I found that some of the discomfort can be relieved by a skilled practitioner. The 1st one I had for both feet, calves, thighs, legs and my back in 2003 nearly took me off the table when the "Dr" caught the muscles behind the knee during the emg and I have a high pain threshold - he was fortunate that I happened to be positioned facing a wall because my reflex could have taken his head off although the wall didn't do much for my foot.

After that I've had subsequent exams done @ UPenn by a "technician" but under the guidance of the chairman of the neuro group and even though the tests have been far more extensive, feet, ankles, calves, thighs, legs, arms, back, fingers, and toes they have been much less unpleasant. When I discussed w/ the UPenn neurologist he indicated that the skill of the practitioner can have a great influence on a discomfort during a patients' test and I know many patients in the area go to UPenn for that reason.

I can tell you that I was much less sore after all of the subsequent exams than the from the 1st one - I was nearly hobbled for a couple of days. I can understand your reluctance to repeat the last experience - perhaps as Daniella suggested a second opinion and/or a different neurologist to do the test might be somewhat helpful.

I hope you find some relief and answers soon - good thoughts to you.

Alkymst
Alkymst is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote