View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello GJZH!

I suffer daily from pain originating in my SI joint. I was in the Army and during a pt test (after 3 days in the field, in full battle dress, carrying a 40 pound rucksack, and a 35 pound M-60 - my back herniated at L-5/S1 during the situps - I continued on with the 2 mile run though) I had severe cramps going up and down both legs and spasming at the same time. This was the worst run of my life - and at that point I had been running for 15 years - daily.

Suffice it to say that along with the low back injury - the SI joint pain is the worst.

I was told that the SI joint ligaments were torn. As a result in an office visit my doctor showed that one leg was longer than the other, because the more injured side had retracted.

As a result the joint has never worked the same since. I walk with a limp.

Apparently when the ligament is torn and frozen in a certain position it aggravates the SI nerve. I was only recently told about options for surgery but the neurosurgeon I spoke to talked about cutting the nerve completely - my Orthopedic Surgeon disagrees with doing that because then I would lose all feeling in my legs. After they both spoke another option was inserting a pain stimulator into the base of my back - supposedly that would also help with the SI joint pain.

Would your doctors consider the pain stimulator for you? At least it is reversable - which is not so with the more invasive surgeries.

While waiting for the pain stimulator - I cope by stretching, exercising and I see a chiropracter who manipulates me to pull out my legs. Meds cannot calm this pain - Ice packs work wonders.

All the best to you.....

Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (05-17-2012)