View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Yoga after Spine Fusion for scoliosis

I too had T3- L3 spine fusion surgery for scoliosis in 1988. I am now 37 years old, a mother of a 5 year old active boy and a YOGA teacher. Yep you heard that right .. .a yoga teacher.

I have found that my 10 year study of body/mind medicine through yoga is the way to keep my body in shape as well as connect in a healthy way to my body rods and all.

*admin edit*

But here is the truth that you must accept about maintaining a healthy spine years after spine fusion. You CANNOT lift anything over 15 lbs. Just accept it .
There are certain activities that will not benefit your body in the long run. I have retired any idea of playing golf or tennis (too much twisting) and I am very careful to ease into any new activity. I realize I could pretty much do anything in my 20s but now it is about long term preservation of my unfused spine and support of my fusion. And yoga meets all my needs ... I have learned to modify my practice though and now have 'retired" a few advanced poses that I believe won't serve my body in the long run.

Best wishes to you,
Julie Wilkins

Last edited by Chemar; 03-26-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: No links/website redirects for new members/ NT advertising guidelines
JWilkins75 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (03-31-2013)