View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes...very common in brain injuries unfortunately. I have improved, including the photosensitivity. I need sunglasses outside always, but not so much indoors anymore. Progress! Prisms helped a huge amount. I still have lots of pain and pulling behind the eyes if I use them too much (ipad, etc.). Many things can recover with the vision - one thing that rarely does is the vertical heterophoria (not converging up and down).

One thing that my neuro-opth told me is that vision problems usually indicate a brain stem injury, which can require a much longer recovery time. Didn't want to believe it at first but I do now, especially since other parts of the injury are healing a bit better (headaches, etc. ). It takes quite a knock to get to the well-protected brain stem.

Having said all that, if that is true, we are then among the very lucky, because it could have been so much worse. I try to focus on that good luck, and not the bad luck that put me here in the first place

Re Dizzyness....vestibular and vision are intimately connected ...as in the vstibular occular reflex, etc. They all converge at the same place. So vestibular therapy goes hand in hand wi vision therapy!

Good luck...keep healing! You will feel better bit by bit, I am sure!

What happened: Legs pulled forward by a parent's hockey stick while resting at the side of the rink at a family skate....sent me straight back. I hit the back of my head (with helmet) on the ice, bounced a few times, unconscious for a few minutes. September 11, 2011. Off work since then…I work part-time at home when I can. It has been hell but slowly feeling better (when I am alone☺).

Current symptoms: Vision problems (but 20/20 in each eye alone!) – convergence insufficiency – horizontal and vertical (heterophoria), problems with tracking and saccades, peripheral vision problems, eyes see different colour tints; tinnitus 24/7 both ears; hyperacusis (noise filter gone!), labyrinthian (inner ear) concussion, vestibular dysfunction (dizzy, bedspins, need to look down when walking); partial loss of sense of smell; electric shocks through head when doing too much; headaches; emotional lability; memory blanks; difficulty concentrating. I still can’t go into busy, noisy places. Fatigue. Executive functioning was affected – multi-tasking, planning, motivation. Slight aphasia. Shooting pain up neck and limited mobility at neck. Otherwise lucky!

Current treatments: Vestibular therapy, Vision therapy, amantadine (100 mg a day), acupuncture and physiotherapy for neck, slow return to exercise, magnesium, resveratrol, omega 3 fish oils, vitamins D, B and multi. Optimism and perserverance.

Last edited by Mokey; 03-27-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Mokey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (03-27-2013)