View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 12:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yep, I do. I've not had surgery, but my ortho. surgeon noted that I'm a "candidate" for bilateral SI Joint "arthrodesis."

He also stated (to me and in his written reports to my other docs) that a university surgeon would have to perform the surgery, since it's rarely done by those in private practice - at least in the area where I live (the nearest teaching university is UC Davis, and the nearest counties where I live are packed with hospitals that do perform myriad spinal surgeries, but not SIJ fusion).

To help ease the pain, I've had bilateral SI Joint injections (late in 2005 and early 2006); I've also had multi-level, bilateral pulsed RF (radiofrequencing) from the L-4 - S1.

My bone scans and CTs helped my docs in making the dx, thankfully (by that I mean, the films also helped positively rule out bone cancer, which was what the neuroradiologist was thinking was going on). The SI Joint probs., I can live with, as much as pain as it is; the bone cancer scare helped put stuff into perspective for me.

Other than fusion, what options have your docs mentioned?

For me, the surgery isn't "right" right now; my surgeons have assured that they will tell me when "it is time." (They've also my C- and T-spine that they're monitoring closely. No time, to me, would be the "right" time, but... .)

Because I do have Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS), and fusion is an effect, one "benefit" of the SI fusion would be to better assure that proper alignment has an increased chance of happening.

I had posted some links, I found helpful, here:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...17&postcount=2

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote