View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Need advise regarding extraction/bone grafting

I am 64 yrs old and am scheduled with an oral surgeon for extraction of my teeth with bone grafting for upper and lower in preparation for implants later.

I am writing here (thank goodness I found this forum) for information. I don't understand some of what will take place as this is a 'first' for me. I've had extensive dental work over the years, but never bone grafting or implants.

My husband and I moved to Florida from NY 5 months ago. We did not know anyone to get referrals so went through the phone book to find a dentist. The oral surgeon was recommended by the general dentist we found.

I have reservations about the whole procedure as we are both retired and money is very tight. I knew I needed to have my teeth removed as they reached a point of no return.

I have at least 5 infected teeth. Three on the top (front tooth, left canine , and a broken rear molar. They were all post/crown and have come out. I stick them back in with Fixodent. I know, bad idea, but I couldn't walk around without a front tooth.

After reading the posts on this forum, I called the oral surgeon and requested a consult to go over what was going to be done. When I arrived today, I was told he was busy but spoke to a woman who worked with him (not sure of her credentials but she seemed informed). I asked her why bone grafting would be done at the time of extraction if there was active infection. I said I learned that bone grafting might not take in infected teeth.

She said they do it all the time and it doesn't make any difference if the teeth are infected. She said they extract the tooth, clean out the site until clean blood and place the graft; 'to wait is a mistake as the socket would collapse and require a larger graft if done 3 months later.' She said, the fail rate is the same for infection as for non-infection. The surgeon does not guarantee success as grafts can fail for any reason.

She said I should start on antibiotics (Clindamycin) tomorrow and continue to take it until the day of the surgery (next Wed).

I don't know if the information I was given is to be trusted. I don't know how to proceed.

Jane
KSMacy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote