View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My vision therapy for convergence insufficiency uses Brock string with beads (you focus on beads in close range and far range), using polarized bars over pictures and texts and polarized glasses to read (showing when the brains turns of left or right eye images), using green and red (3D glasses) to sketch in red and green pencils, etc. at home.

At the clinic, there are other equipment (mirrors, etc) to teach the brain to coordinate the left and right eyes.

The neurologist explained that because my eyes aren't focusing together (binocular vision), the brain has been turning off the left and right images because it is too hard to make them coordinate.

I believe the exercises try to get the brain to keep both images in focus to strengthen the neural pathway of a coordinated and stabilized vision.

I think the flip book effect has to do with the brain taking visual cues in motion. Usually the brain "turns off" these images so you have a more solid image. I also notice this when I try to read traffic signs or when I tried to catch a ball (epic fail).

Post-event: Diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome, ptsd, whiplash, peripheral and central vestibular dysfunction and convergence insufficiency. MRI/CT scans fine.

Symptoms: daily headaches, dizziness/vertigo, nausea, cognitive fog, light/noise sensitivities, anxiety/irritability, fatigued, convergence insufficiency, tinnitus and numbness in arms/legs.

Therapies: Now topamax 50mg daily; Propanolol and Tramadol when migraine. Off nortryptiline and trazodone. Accupuncture. Vitamin regime. Prism glasses/vision therapy. Vestibular therapy 3month. Gluten free diet. Dairy free diet. On sick leave from teaching until Sept. 2014.
berkeleybrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (03-28-2013), DFayesMom (03-28-2013), _Grace_ (03-07-2015)