View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Yes you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erasmus View Post
Sorry for jumping in on this topic, but I just joined up so I could write here. I've been suffering from the effects of three, maybe four concussions in the last 2 years. Mostly the usual symptoms, cognitive and memory difficulties and such. I was always a unorganised and forgetful person already, now it's just ridiculous. Plus I have Bi-Polar Disorder to boot, so mood changes are quite bad.

But that's not my point. I've always been a very creative person. I've been studying photography and am embarking on my career and wanting to start a business. I've always been doing projects, I'm also a musician, did a bit of writing, all that sort. Lately I just haven't been able to do anything like that, I just get completely stuck. It only occurred to me a few minutes ago that this may be linked to my concussions. Is it possible? And do you think I can get it back?

My creativity is (or was) a big part of who I am. I really do feel hollow and pointless without it. If it's gone then I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do with my life.
I know exactly how you feel. I have felt much the same way. The good news is, that I have started being more creative again. It just takes a lot of effort and doesn't feel easy, but then I guess it never really did. At least with writing, it can be hard work but so rewarding. The main thing is that I think it's like everything else with PCS pick--you have to ease into it and you can't jump in with both feet. In particular, I can only read about one poem, maybe two before I have to stop. (Mainly this is because of my eyes.) Reading is a part of my creative process. I don't write if I'm not reading. In this way, I guess my remaining PCS symptoms are still holding me back. I do believe that they will get better with more therapy and more time, so for now I just have to at least start. I have to do what little I can to get out of this stagnation. When I was at the height of my PCS symptoms, I did just have to accept that fact that I was not going to be creative until I started feeling better. But then once I did start feeling better, and I felt up to it, writing my first children's book was such an awesome feeling. It's not poetry but it's something I always wanted to do, and I'm proud of myself for pushing the limits of what I thought capable of doing and creating something again.

I know it feels hard, and I don't know where you are in your struggles, but have faith that you can get your creativity back. I think it's just a process. I'm not finished with the process yet, but I'm getting there. I think you can to. Just think baby steps!
I have recovered my cognitive function, and I've overcome severe vertigo through sensory integration therapy. Wellbutrin has helped me escape depression. I have recently had a few stress-related migraines, as well as headaches stemming from eye strain. I'm also dealing with tinnitus, lack of stamina, extreme light sensitivity, and eye pain. Diagnosed with 9 different vision issues: convergence insufficiency, pursuit eye movement deficit, egocentric visual midline shift, photophobia, visual information processing delays, accommodative insufficiency, saccadic eye movement deficit, lack of coordination, and central peripheral visual integration deficit.

*First concussion: October 2010. I was pregnant and got rear ended. I associated my mild PCS symptoms with baby brain and blamed my light sensitivity on allergies and dry eyes.
*Second concussion: December 2011. I hit my head on a wooden beam, saw stars but did not lose consciousness, and I had very disturbing PCS symptoms but didn't go to the doctor.
*Third concussion: August 2012. I caused a car accident as a result of PCS symptoms. Thankfully no one was injured but me. My husband confronted me, and I finally sought help and took medical leave from work. My symptoms worsened, and I developed severe vertigo.
*Fourth concussion: November 2012. I was riding in a car with a friend and we were hit head on by a driver who lost control of her car. I didn't have a big increase in PCS symptoms.
DFayesMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mokey (03-29-2013)