Thread: Topamax
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Camyam,

I was on Amitriptyline from 3/2011 - 3/2012, started with 50mg twice daily and increased the dosing to a max of 200 mg twice daily for daily headaches from my injury. My headaches went from 15+/10 on a 10/10 scale to 7/10 minimally during that time.

My Neurologist retired and I was referred to another Neurologist. He weaned me from Amitripylline to Topamax. We began with 50 mg twice daily, and have now reached 200 mg twice daily since 4/2012 to now. My headaches daily have gone from the 15+/10 on that 10/10 scale to 2/10 scale or less , but I still have a noticeable presence that my headache is there, just at the brink, even maybe a 1/10 minimally daily - but omg it is so much nicer to feel that much clearer - headache free so to speak.

I used to get about 1 to 2 acute headaches also during the day besides my daily chronic headache - now I have had maybe 1 or 2 since I started this 200 mg twice daily dosing 2 weeks ago.

I know there are side effects from Topamax - I have only had the dry mouth; occasional funny soft drink taste; of course like all these meds - E.D.:
---One day, maybe all these docs will acknowledge that these meds are the causation and not the age of some of us - just because I was injured in my 60's and am in my 60's is not the root cause, since there was no problem until I began those damnable meds.

There is also the occasional dry eye sensation.

Many side effects are tolerable to me.

I've been an Insomniac since the injury , way before the introduction of these or any meds, so I can't blame them for that.

Current: Changes of more insomnia, new reviews with findings of more Depression, tremors, vertigo, tinnitus, loss of focus, fatigue; SSDI - accepted on Depression, Cognitive Deficits; Seizures ruled out, mTBI changes including cognitive slowing/lapses.
Medication update: Topamax 200mg twice daily it seems to minimize daily headaches to a 1-2/10 quality(I still know they are there); and acute headaches erupt without warnings.
Concussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (03-29-2013), camyam73 (03-29-2013)