View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ Congrats on what sounds to be a successful surgery!

I don't know what others do after they're done with their collars, etc., but I use a cervical pillow. I've never had cervical surgery, but I DO have a herniation there, and the cervical pillow just gives me added support. Whether or not you'll need or want one is totally up to you. But I think I'd have one on hand just in case you feel more comfortable with it.

As far as permanent restrictions, you're still not going to be able to lift heavy things. Even tho it's your neck, it does effect your neck too when you lift. So ask your surgeon when you go back for your 6 wk checkup. I would think he would tell you 10-20lbs would be the maximum. I'm a lumbar patient, so I NEVER lift more than 10lbs.

There are special creams that you can get for scarring but for the life of me I can't think of their names. 100% aloe is good -- it's very thick, and it keeps it very moist so it won't "pucker" and pull the skin while it's healing. I used that when I had radiation and it helped with the burning and I didn't have any bad results from the radiation,, so the aloe must have helped with that!

Ask your doc when you can start exercising. You DON'T want to start too soon. Perhaps he'll send you to physical therapy. That would be the best.

Again, congrats. I hope the pain STAYS gone! PLEASE keep giving us periodic updates, will you? It will help others who are thinking of having this done. And WE'D like to know too! Thanks for this update, and I'll be looking for more. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ChelKB (03-31-2013), don1956 (03-30-2013), eva5667faliure (04-04-2013), ginnie (03-29-2013), mg neck prob (04-03-2013)