View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Mad Knitter,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

B-12 deficiency is common with brain injuries as it is needed for myelin sheath repair. Folic acid is also needed in extra amounts. It is also needed to maintain the blood brain barrier. A blood level of about 1000 for B-12 and greater than 20 for folate is suggested for injured brains.

The shots are great to get levels up but there are different forms of B-12. Sub-lingual drops can be a good source. You also want appropriate D3 and a full complement of all the B's such as a B-50 or B-100 Complex. Check out the Vitamins... thread. I'll top post it so you can find it easily.

Another common thing with TBI is upper neck injuries, specifically at the C-1 (atlas) to occiput (base of the skull). You should try icing this area as often as possible throughout the day. 15 minutes on, 30 minutes off. Do it especially when you are symptomatic. You can make a flexible ice pack with a zip lock baggie with one part rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol and three parts water. Make a few so you can alternate them in the freezer as you use them. Wrap them in a thin towel to take away the extreme cold.

The vitamin regimen and icing should make a difference within a week or two.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 03-30-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mad Knitter (03-30-2013)