View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Great find and great info on Dr. Thompson's approach.

I actually read Dr. Thompson's entire textbook on TOS. (I highly recommend it, but you have to buy it from him because it is out of print.)
Then, I actually flew to Denver from CA, just to see him (on my own dime), and two years into my symptoms.
I was very disappointed because he seemed to be leading the questions and providing the replies, and would not allow me to elaborate on MY own symptoms. When I left, he said he suspected I actually had pec minor syndrome ... which I did not! I followed his advice, but Botox in the pecs actually made my shoulder problems worse, whereas botox in my upper traps & overworked rhomboids had previously helped reduce the pain.
When I left Denver, airfare, hotel, and over $400 later, I felt like he was trying to have data to support his new theories, and diagnosed me with pec minor syndrome instead of TOS to add a name to a list.... but it wasn't me!

The disturbing thing is, I'm actually a clinician and I know the exams, the results, the lingo, and most of all, what I'm feeling. 80% of most diagnoses can come from taking a good history and exam! Now I feel that a family practice doc or neurologist who says they've never seen TOS is mistaken. They simply don't know how to diagnose it!
(On another note, I bought 5 copies of his book, and dedicated some to the several doctors who had missed my diagnosis!)
I don't want anyone to go what I went through just because a doctor isn't well informed about a condition. This action actually saved a colleague of mine from ending up like me, all because we had the same doctor and he'd had me first so he recognized it in her!

Sorry, I'm rambling...!
teetertot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote