View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default So confused......any advise?

HI all,
Thank you for reading my post. 9 Days ago I went to a dentist I have seen in the past and had tooth number 13 extracted. The tooth had a prior root canal over 10 yrs ago and prior to the extraction it broke at the gum line. After massive anxiety I got the tooth pulled, surgically,. After the extraction he put gelfoam in the hole and stitches. I am by the booth with directions, didnt smoke for 48 hrs, no soda for first 4 days, day 2 started salt water rinses, soup only, ect. Day 3 I wake up with extreme throbbing in the site, NO PAIN, I called the dentist he said it was natural healing. Day 4 pain was getting a little more, thinking why? Day 6 the stitches came out, big hole now. By day 7 I was back to taking advil every 3 hrs and I called the dentist office and told her I needed to be checked out, thinking dry socket. Seen him and I as was asking him why he told me I am a smoker, I said you said I could after 48 hrs, I have had a draining taste in my mouth this whole time, I asked him about that, his explanation is : Because you smoke the heat is causing the scab inside the site to heat up and what I am tasting is the scab melting,. WTH? Today is day 9 I noticed this morning and last night while rinsing with the salt water, very diluted, that a little tiny bit of blood is dripping out. Is that what I am tasting? I have chronic bad sinus year round have to nedi pot daily and steam daily constant post nasal drip. I am wondering if the gel foam is what I am tasting, my pain is way down no advil today its in the afternoon. I am drinking alot of water and soft foods still, brushing gently. Any Ideas? Sorry for the long post.......ps, if I would have know this was going to happen and so long in pain I think I would have kept the broken non pain tooth.....lol
pennye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote