View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Hi Jen,

You will probably get more and better advice about AED's on the Epilepsy forum.

But, my daughter took Depakote (valproic acid) for about 3 years for her absence and partial seizures. At least at the time, it was the drug of first choice for absence seizures in a girl her age (then 12). Best not used during childbearing years/pregnancy. She had about a 20 pound weight gain in a couple months time, although she was a young teen in her growth years so that may be deceptive. Still, weight gain is one of the better known side effects. She also had stomach upset with it, and drowsiness, but those got better after the first months. After a couple of years, she began to show mental slowing/concentration problems on it... and we weren't sure it was a drug side effect, seizure acitivity or something else. The doctor decided to wean her off, and she's been medication free/seizure free since (six years now). Her mental sluggishness/cognitive problems disappeared.

All AED's have some potential side effects, so nobody wants to be on them unless they have to be. Many people have no choice, especially if their seizures are frequent or severe, and finding the best drug can be a matter of trial and error and very individual.

Meanwhile, we did find out that my daughter has an underlying B6 deficiency (pyroluria), that I believe was causing her seizures. Just google up B6 GABA seizures. Anyone with celiac disease has the potential for vitamin deficiency, so finding a doctor willing to look and treat nutritional deficiency could be important for you too.

Let us know how the EEG and MRI turn out.

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 05-09-2007 at 09:05 AM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote