View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up one of the first on the planet

Hello Lisa, I was one of the first people on the planet to have this procedure. What I don't understand why all these issues. I have had 4 revisions, total. Three before I was ten. The last 28 years later. I have had a headache 5 times in my life, all required surgery. I can't say I have ever the foggy/confused feeling, I can tell you I know exactly when the shunt is blocked, I generally wind up getting vertigo, I have been told that there are only two ways to detect an issue with the shunt, ct scans and mri's don't work. The two ways are a spinal tap and also having an opthamologist see if the ventricles in the back of your eyes are swollen. I can tell you however disconcerting the following may sound I was recently diaganosed with epilepsy. I am unfortunately a guinea pig, I will keep you up to date if I am diagnosed with anything else that my neurologist may feel could be shunt related, doctors have to be a little more reactive with me than proactive, it is a learning experience for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa14 View Post
Hi! I'm new to this site and need some help understanding my husbands symptoms. My husband,Dean,had a vp shunt inserted in October 2012,since then he has had headaches, short term memory loss, tingling at top of head, increased anxiety and agitation, feels like he is in a fog most of the time. went to ER for confusion in feb. and they admitted him and adjusted his shunt x 2. His symptoms have not resolved and the neurosurgeon now thinks he is having seizures that is causing his symptoms. yikes! We don't see the neurologist until april 15th. Anyone else having these issues with their shunt? I don't know where else to turn.
jasontaub23 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote