View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 05:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, Ginkgo..

My psychiatrist recently prescribed Effexor to me for anxiety and mild depression. After doing some research and some surveying of friends I'm scared beyond belief of this drug. While I know that each person reacts differently, my depression is situational and my anxiety can be controlled if I take the proper precautions, I don't feel that the damage Effexor can do to your body is worth it in my situation.

After doing some research on some natural ways to handle my depression and anxiety I am going to attempt this course: St. John's Wort (300MG) 5-HTP (200MG) Ginkgo Biloba (120MG) and B Complex. I don't plan on starting this until I talk to my physician. I am hesitant to talk to my psychiatrist about my plans as he basically said, "...don't come back unless you're taking Effexor."

Has anyone else tried to handle mild depression/anxiety with herbs and supplements? Any bad interactions you might see with the above course? I do take .25 mg of klonopin for anxiety, but only as needed. Again, I don't plan on starting this without consulting my physician, but thought I'd start here.
nattyway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote