View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Featherbullet, I'm sorry to hear what a hard time you're having. I, too, have idiopathic neuropathy. I'm 41 and was diagnosed a year ago, though the symptoms were going on for 2-3 years before that. I'm lucky to have good insurance, so I've been investigating the possible causes--all kinds of tests and experiments and still no cause.

I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which I think I must have had for at least 5-6 years. I just never knew what that aching in my legs was till I finally found the right doctor.

Three things that help me:
(1) Swimming. It's the only exercise I can do without pain or impact on my feet and I find it really helps fight depression and stress. I go 2-3 times a week, just for 30 min. You don't even have to swim well (I don't!).

Gyms can be expensive, but the YMCA is usually pretty affordable. I don't know where you live, but most cities have public pools, as well.

(2) I see a therapist who specializes in chronic pain. It's so helpful to talk to someone who understands what it's like to live with pain and fatigue and all the emotional issues that come with them.

Also, there are support groups out there, for both neuropathy and fibromyalgia and also for chronic pain sufferers in general. Talking to others in your situation can really help. I urge you to try it.

(3) Acupuncture. I go once a week and it has helped me a lot. Even if you don't have insurance to cover it, it's reasonably affordable at community centers or clinics. It also helps with depression and stress.

Lastly, you might want to try making changes to your diet. This is something you can do on your own--try eliminating different food types for 30 days at at a time and see if there's any difference in your pain. I've been trying a wheat-free diet for the past 3 weeks, as I know wheat/gluten can be a trigger for neuropathy. There are some great dietary tips on this forum.

Keep your chin up!

All the best to you,
APJH

Last edited by APJH; 04-01-2013 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Forgot something!
APJH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-01-2013)