View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help decipher with MRI:

At the top is says "moderate dessication & narrowing of C6-7: this means that the discs are drying out. When the discs dry out they flatten and bulge and sometimes herniate. The "narrowing" -- I'm not sure WHAT'S narrowing.

C3-4 Mild bilateral foraminal stenosis -- the foramen are the holes that the nerves go thru to get to the spinal cord, and they're getting narrow. Facet arthropathy is disease of the facets - probably arthritis. There is also a small central disc herniation. The spinal canal is congenitally narrow meaning from birth.

C4-5 Congenital narrowing of spinal canal with right central disc herniation & facet hypertrophy. Hypertrophy is overgrowth of bone. This results in moderate to SEVERE and moderate left foraminal stenosis (see above) with moderate canal stenosis (the spinal canal is getting narrow) and flattening of the right portion of the cord. The Foraminal stenosis could be causing this.

C5-6 Central and right central disc herniation with congenital canal narrowing with bilateral facet hypertrophy (see above). This results in moderate to SEVERE left and only mild right foraminal stenosis (see above) . However there is moderate canal stenosis (see above) with deformation of the anterior contour of the spinal cord.

C6-7 Broad based disc-osteophyte complex -- this is a herniation along with bone spurs. Plus congenital canal stenosis (see above) and bilateral facet hypertrophy (see above). This results in bilateral foraminal stenosis (see above) more pronounced on left secondary to disc osteophyte. Mild canal stenosis at this level without deformation of cord contour.

The radiologist also mentions a Chiari 1 malformation, and for the life of me I cannot remember what that is. I'm sorry. But you DO have some concerns here and the one that bothers me the most is at C4-5, where the cord is flattened. You should ask your doctor to get you a referral to a NeuroSURGEON (NOT a Neurologist!!!) and get an opinion. If this Neurosurgeon suggests surgery, take your films to 2 other Neurosurgeons and get opinions from them too, because spinal surgery is VERY SERIOUS. Surgery should be a LAST RESORT after all conservative methods have been tried.

Also, surgery will NOT remove all your pain. Usually after surgery you're left with the same pain or worse. Surgery is for mechanical problems. So don't expect pain relief. Some people DO get pain relief and they're lucky.

Any, get some opinions on what should be done. Like I said, I do see some concerns here, and I hope others will chime in too. God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jadamae (04-01-2013)