View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Pennye,

People who smoke generally heal slower from any type of surgery more so than non smokers. So dentists expect this to happen and often do not react right away way when a smoker complains of pain a week or two after the extraction. The first couple of weeks are the most crucial time for anyone who has had oral surgery. But there is not much that can be done to help the situation so long as the patient continues to smoke.

Yes, it is a tough extraction when the tooth is broken off at the gum line and depending on how much he had to manipulate the bone to get it out could extend the healing time.

Perhaps you could seriously consider not smoking..... perhaps stopping for good. Maybe your physician could suggest a patch or something to help you quit. Or you could try accupuncture or hypnosis..... just a thought.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennye View Post
Thank you for your reply, I will take head on your advise, I am so shocked that this healing is this long. If you read on teeth extraction, I am not seeing people not doing great by day 10. I guess I picked the short straw....My anxiety was so severe I had a feeling I didnt want to have this extracted, no choice I know but at least I learned something new about my teeth health and how slow of a healer I am. I am 47 and my smoking is bad but you have pain you grab for a cig, I white knuckled it for the first 48 hrs. I am now wondering if he knew I had a sinus perferation and just didnt want to tell me, when I sat in his chair I told him what a baby I was, lol. Is it a tough extraction to grab the tooth that is broken at the gums? He pulled it one swoop but I thought my head was coming off my shoulders. Thank you again for your advise, I will take it.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote