View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help~

At the top, it says there is "mild intervertebral disc dessication through upper and mid thoracic spine -- this means that the discs are drying out. When the discs dry out, they tend to flatten, and that makes the bulge and sometimes herniate and push on nerves, which HURTS!

T1-2 Suble annular bulging - The annula is a sac that the disc sits in. The sac is filled with nerves and fluid.

T2-3 Normal

T3-4 Annular bulging (see above) effaces the ventral thecal sac. The thecal sac is a membrane of dura matter that surrounds the spinal cord & cauda equina and is filled with cerebral spinal fluid.

T4 to T6

T6-T7 Annular bulging (see above) with super-imposed broad based right paracentral disc herniation effaces (wipes out) right paracentral ventral thecal sac and abuts the right aspect of the thoracic spinal cord (pushes on the cord). The cord is NOT displaced.

T7-8 Small right paracentral disc herniation 2x3-4mm

T8-9 Right paracentral disc herniation similar to T6-7 nearly effaces (wipes out) right ventral thecal sac (see above) with abutment of right ventral thoracic spinal cord which is NOT displaced.

T9-10 through T12 OK

Degenerative disc disease, worse at T6-7 through T8-9.

While I'm no doctor, I'm glad you're going to see a Neurosurgeon! At this time, I would doubt that he would recommend surgery, but you never know. I wouldn't want surgery at this time if I were you. But in any case, if he DOES recommend surgery, PLEASE take your films to at LEAST 2 other Neurosurgeons for more opinions. You should NEVER take just ONE doctors opinion. You should ALWAYS get at least a total of 3 opinions when surgery is at stake.

Also, remember that surgery is only for mechanical problems. Surgery does not solve all pain problems. Chances are good that you will have the same pain or worse after surgery. Then there is the "Domino Effect" which the doctors don't tell their patients about. That is where the levels above or below the surgery site fail. They fail because they have to take on more of the load because of the surgery. It happens all the time. Consequently more surgery is needed. It's a vicious circle.

I've had 3 spinal surgeries -- they were all OPEN surgeries -- not the "micro" surgeries that they can do now. That's because mine were done years ago. Also, mine were done before the internet, so I wasn't able to do any research to speak of. If I was able to have surgery now (I'm inoperable) I would NOT unless I was in danger of permanent nerve damage or if my spinal cord was being impinged. Those are the ONLY two reasons I would have surgery!!! Otherwise, I would NOT let them touch me. I would go into pain management and live with it, because it's better than the outcome of surgery to me.

I wish you the very best. Please let us know how you come out. I'd really like to know. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote