View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Diagnosed With Trigeminal Neuralgia at 18

My name is Caitlin and I was just recently diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia a few months ago by my brain doctor. Four years ago is when it all started. I have always had very bad sinus/ear infections since I was a baby. Four years ago, I had a sinus infection that was so bad, it lasted a year. My ENT put me on multiple antibiotics that year to get rid of it, and I ened up having an allergic reaction to each one, badly. He finally had to do surgery. after that it all went downhill. I have had braces and my wisdom teeth out, and ear tubes twice etc... so my doctor thinks that all that may have been what caused it. I do not have electric shocks in my face though, I have a dull, aching pain that is always there, NO MATTER WHAT. I sometimes have them in my ears, but not in my face? So I'm so confused! It hurts to press my face, and certain spots, so thats why the docs always assumed that I had an infection.For a few years I think the doctors thought I was crazy, they put me on antibiotics every month thinking I had an infection because my face hurt so badly, and my ears. But it never worked. I have severe allergies along with all this pain. My doctor put me on topamax and I am slowly upping it. I am on 150mg a day and next week will be on 200mg. In a few more weeks it will prob be 400mg because I am still in pain. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how they cope with their pain in their face and ears, and the headaches etc....I also have migraines, it runs in my family along with the allergies, lucky me Thank-You
Dreamreal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote