View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 10:50 AM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member

Thanks Alffe

I know of an elderly man out here who ended his life a couple of months ago after suffering a stroke several years ago. He overheard his wife and son talking about placing him in a nursing home. He was a large man, and it was difficult to move him around.

I think our society is screwed up. We consider the elderly a burden and obviously prefer death over old age. Instead, we should cherish our elderly citizens. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't be here. Some possess wisdom we need to hear, others deserve respect and honor just for making it that far in life. It's nature's way of slowing them down so we can gather around and listen to their stories.

Our obsession with youth has gotten out of hand. Gray hair, wrinkles, and age spots are nature's Purple Heart medals. They should be worn with pride.

I suspect the three people mentioned in your link might change their minds down the road. Illness, frailty, and dependence doesn't always mean the end of a rich life. It sounds selfish to measure the value of life based on swimming, dancing, and golf. It sounds cowardly to prefer suicide over the next chapter in life.
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (08-24-2015), Brain patch (03-15-2013), Nik-key (10-09-2008)