View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, CrimeofPassion.

I used to have similar symptoms to yours except it was never in my legs of feet, but it was in my hands, arms and back. Tingling, pain etc. So much so that I stopped going on my daily walk. And apart from working, all I would do is stay at home, not even using the computer (I thought I had RSI). It felt nerve-related to me too, not the muscles or bones or anything.

I think upping your B12 should be your first port of call, and it is a relatively cheap solutions. Your B12 should be at least 550 (and that is the low end), no matter what your dr tells you. The B12 thresh hold is too low and it is very much underdiagnosed.

Try to get your hands on some methylcobalamin B12. It's up to you how much you take. I think they come in either 1000 mg or 5000 mg sublingual (under the tongue) tablets. If you're not sure how you'll react to it, or are generally sensitive to medication, take half of the 1000 mg (which would be 500 mcg) tablets per day in the morning before food, and then gradually increase the dose if you are feeling ok.

Jarrow is the best brand, you can buy it from iherb.com for cheap, or amazon.com or whichever you prefer. You might see cyanocobalamin being sold, but that is the sub-par and synthetic version. Your body should react better to the methyl form and the good news is that it should start working within days, if that is the issue. If you wanted to try hydroxocobalamin injections from your dr, then you can do that as well, but if not, the methyl subglinguals should work just as well. Try to keep it under your tongue and against the gums for at least 30 mins. This is so that it will go into the blood stream. You might want to get tested whether you don't have instrinsic factor (it gets the B12 from food) in your stomach, eventually. Not being able to absorb B12 is a lifelong condition, that would need monitoring.

You may also need to take a couple of fish oil tablets per day, in order to replace any lost myelin at the end of the nerves. Try to eat foods high in potassium and iron since your body will rapidly start using any B12 that it is finally getting, which depletes iron and potassium stores. Keep an eye on your body and please post here if you need any help.
boogirl85 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-03-2013)