View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Welcome to NeuroTalk:

It is best to get testing for B12 and vit D before starting the supplements to see where you are exactly. This helps to determine what doses you should take.

The B12 test should be at least 400pg/ml in US units, (don't accept "normal" from a doctor, because labs still report values that are very low in the 200's as "normal" and now we know that is very erroneous.)

There is a new more efficiently absorbed lipoic acid called Stabilized R lipoic acid. This allows for lower doses daily. Doctor's Best brand is one that is affordable and of high quality.
Also they make a good Benfotiamine. Both are available on iherb.com and Amazon, and some other discount sources.
You are not likely to find them locally in stores. Amazon offers free shipping on orders over $25.

Methylcobalamin is the active form of B12 and preferred, because people may not convert the older synthetic version well or at all. It is very inexpensive and bypasses genetic errors that are common with cyanocobalamin failures. Jarrow offers it and so does Puritan's Pride now. Puritan's is very good and economical.

There are many online sources for these, but I try and find quality and affordable prices for myself and others coming here to NT.

If your problems are inflammatory, you can test for this yourself.
If you feel better on aspirin or an NSAID, that implies some inflammatory problem like arthritis.
Inflammatory issues respond to fish oil or krill oil. Also you may look at Salonpas patches which are good on the feet, can be cut to fit toes and hands/fingers. The original form with methysaliclyate is the one I use with success.
http://www.salonpas.us/product/salonpas-original/
These are inexpensive and work well on localized areas and prevent the side effects that oral anti-inflammatories can cause (like naproxen, and aspirin). I buy mine in bulk at Costco. They are however inexpensive also at WalMart, Walgreen's and RiteAid.
Once you open the envelop they arrive in, I suggest storing in a ziploc type plastic baggie.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
zygopetalum (05-09-2013)