View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 12:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

You know something, Justice.

I was raised a Catholic and converted to Judaism during my divorce.

I'm more eclectic now -- a little bit of everything.

I've seen people that are very combative with their religion. When I was in hospital taking care of Mom during her last days, one woman actually told me that my Mother was dying because I was a practicing Jew. No word on why her sister was in the same room as my Mother I found her comments to be extemely hateful and hurtful. She called herself a "good Christian"

My Mom's doctor was also a "good Christian". He sat by the bedside and prayed before surgery. My Mom didn't like it. But, I did. He was able to bring his religion to his work without being offensive about it. He prayed for God's help and guidance in his hands before he operated. I found him to be a very caring and loving and thoughtful and religious man who did not use his religion to hurt others.

That, I think, is the key. If you can practice your religion (whatever it is) in a thoughtful and kind and caring way without being cruel to others who do not believe as you do. And if you can have tolerance for people who believe differently than you do. If your beliefs bring you comfort during difficult and painful times. Then I think you have mastered the whole reason why people turn to G-d for help.

Religion is supposed to be a comfort and a support and means to help others. It's not supposed to be a weapon that you use to get children to mind or a weapon to get others to believe as you do.

Justice, you have a kind and caring heart. I can't help but believe that if you let your heart lead you to the best religious practices for you, that you will find comfort and you will find soul-satisfaction.

Hugs.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote