View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 01:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Karoncurran,

I will reply to your questions in bold print.

<<Can you please tell me whether seeing a periodontist will be of any help.>>

IT MAY HAVE BEEN HELPFUL SEVERAL YEARS AGO, IF YOU HAD FOLLOWED UP WITH 3 MONTH CLEANINGS AND YOUR ORAL HOME CARE WAS PERFECT. BUT IF YOU NOW HAVE 70-80% BONE LOSS THAT MEANS THERE IS NOTHING MUCH HOLDING THESE TEETH IN YOUR BONE. THERE IS NO PROCEDURE THAT CAN GROW THAT BONE BACK. TO HAVE DEEP SCALINGS WILL NOT HAVE ANY LONG TERM BENEFIT IF ANY BENEFIT AT ALL BECAUSE THE POCKETING IS TOO DEEP AND BONE LOSS IS TOO GREAT. TO HAVE PERIODONTAL SURGERY MEANS TO CUT THE GUMS BACK SO THE POCKET DEPTHS ARE LESS... BUT THIS RESULTS IN MORE TOOTH SURFACE EXPOSED INCLUDING THE ROOT SURFACE WHICH MAKES YOU MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO TOOTH DECAY, VERY DIFFICULT TO KEEP CLEAN AND VERY TEMPERATURE SENSITIVE. THERE IS A LASER SURGERY CALLED LANAP WHICH IS GREAT (EVEN BETTER THAN CONVENTIONAL FLAP SURGERY) AT REMOVING THE BACTERIA IN THE PERIO POEKCTS. HOWEVER THE END RESULT OF LANAP IS SIMILAR TO THE FLAPPING AND REMOVING OF THE GUM TISSUE. IT IS IDEAL TO HAVE THAT LANAP PROCEDURE DONE WHEN THE BONE LOSS IS MINIMUM OR MODERATE. BUT NOT SEVERE.

<<Could you also tell me whether if my dentist had been cleaning my teeth and had he advised me to have the crowned tooth extracted when it first became infected, this situation could have been avoided?>>

IF YOU HAD BEEN HAVING REGULAR DENTAL CARE AND THOROUGH FREQUENT DENTAL CLEANINGS ALONG WITH EXCELLENT HOME CARE... YOUR SITUATION MAY NOT HAVE BECOME SO SEVERE. THIS ONE TOOTH DID NOT CAUSE YOUR PERIODONTAL DISEASE. IT WAS ALREADY PRESENT.

<<I appreciate what you say with regard to the dentures but I know that it would make me so depressed that I'd never be the same person and so I have to give the implants a go. I'm planning on sky bredent implants (6 angled implants>>

I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY. I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH SKY IMPLANTS. ARE THEY JUST DOING THE UPPER ARCH OR THE LOWER ALSO? I WILL WARN YOU THAT IS IT NOT A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE DENTAL IMPLANTS PLACED IN YOUR UPPER ARCH IF YOU HAVE TEETH IN YOUR LOWER ARE THAT HAVE PERIODONTAL DISEASE. THE BACTERIA IS NEVER LIMITED TO JUST ONE ARCH OR JUST ONE AREA SO IT MOST CERTAINLY CAN COMPROMISE THE SUCCESS OF THE IMPLANTS.

I know this is scary for you.... I do understand. This is a huge undertaking and you certainly just want to deal with this one time and never again! I get it. So please take this information seriously and do not rush into half of a treatment plan... as you may not have the outcome that you are hoping for.

Bryanna
Hi Bryanna

Thanks for all your info - whilst it isn't great news, it's nice to get some proper answers.

Karon
Karoncurran is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote