View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 02:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks Bryanna

You're right, not what I wanted to hear, but also what I was expecting. He did mention that if it got no better that he could go in and laser some of the gum under the Bridge tooth so I could clean it regularly. Is that the adjustment you spoke of, and you do not suggest that?
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi rdailey,

Obviously the bridge is not fitting properly along the gum line of the pontic, where the tooth was removed. That spongy or squishy sensation you have is the bridge pushing up against the gum. I am surprised that the gum tissue is not sore! Again obviously you should be able to use a floss threader underneath that portion of the bridge to clean it and because you can't means it fits to far up into the gum.

The spongy sensation may also be indicative of saliva getting in underneath that area. If that is the case, then bacteria can get in there also and since you are unable to clean it out, decay could form on those adjacent teeth holding the bridge in.

Sometimes a dentist will attempt to make an adjustment along the gum line margin of the porcelain to allow proper cleaning. The only problems with that are.....
One... the drilling on the porcelain surface can weaken the porcelain and cause it to crack sometime down the road.
Two... there may already be bacteria accumulating in that area which cannot be seen unless the bridge is removed.

I hate to tell you this but...... this is not going to improve on it's own and the bridge should probably be remade.

I know.... not what you wanted to hear :/ If your dentist does not want to correct this problem, then consult with someone else unaffiliated with him and get their opinion. The problem with that is.... frequently one dentist will not go against another one. But some will.

Keep us posted okay...
Bryanna
rdailey4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote