View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Amy,

Wow...he not only has a dangerous job but a toxic one as well!!! You would think that it would be a law to supply these miners with clean water to drink (long before last year!) and bathe in! The vent bags and vent shafts have to be coated with debris ... are they ever cleaned? Geez... he has a lousy job

I am very glad to hear that he has been healthier. I wish there was a way to keep him that way!!

Thanks for updating us and sharing so much information about his profession. It's very interesting .... although mind boggling to say the least.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by smickey59033 View Post
Bryanna,

He's a underground hard rock miner. The mine recycles their water, which goes through minimal filtration and the breathing air is fan driven from the surface. The drills the guys use require water, pressurized air, and rock drill oil. The ingredients in the drill oil is a trade secret, so who knows what's in it beyond a form of petroleum. I suspect the reason for the high rate of dental problems stems from the water being recycled, which is NOT potable. MSHA has in the last year required the mine to provide bottled water for drinking, but the water on surface for showers is recycled too. They just filter out the solids out of the water and send it back through the underground and surface systems. I also suspect the air. Colds spread through the employees faster than kids in a school. Again the air is supplied via ventilation shafts and driven by large fans. Each mining area has what they call vent bag, which is similar to the heating ducts in a house. There are only certain functions they do that requires a ventilation mask, but the filters on those don't capture fine particles. They are mainly to catch dust and smoke.

But on an excellent note....I can report, he hasn't gotten sick yet. He's been back to work for 2 weeks now and not even a sniffle or sneeze! Having the procedure done has definately done wonders.

He goes in Wednesday for another reline. They're getting loose again. This reline lasted almost 2 weeks. I will ask the dentist to draw up a letter for us elaborating on the medical necessity and improvements he is seeing. Got in touch with the eye doctor today and he will call me back with his opinion on when husband should have a new eye exam. I am going to add those pre-op and post-op findings to further support the necessity.

Amy
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote