View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hello,

Very simply to answer your question ..... no the root canal will not cure the fistula problem because the source of the fistula comes from the bacteria/infection that resides inside of the tiny canals that the Endodontist cannot clean out. So irrelevant of how "great" he is at performing root canals, there is no access to these tiny canals.

The second issue here is that you have had an infection for at least 2 years. The recurrent fistula simply means that when the inflammation from the infection builds up, the bacteria from the infection burrows a hole through the bone as a release for the pressure. It does not mean the infection has left the tooth... it just means the infection has spread.

Endodontics is known as the "cash cow" in dentistry because most people are under the impression that the procedure will "save" their tooth when in fact it only allows the patient to "retain" an infected tooth. When the symptoms of infection resurface, the patient is told some odd story about failure and to have it re treated. Cha... Ching!!

You are wise to think twice about retaining this infected tooth. I think you should go with your intuition on this one.

Keep us posted...
Bryana
Thanks for taking your time to reply. I'm still debating if I should take a risk.

#1) Should I wait for exactly 5-6 months to make sure the Fistula problem is gone then to put a crown? (assuming that I proceed with root canal procedure) or does the dentist make me put a crown right away?

#2) If I ask the Endodontist to perform a root canal and the Fistula problem returns...will it be easy for them to extract my tooth? I'm thinking that it might crack in half when they start pulling it out.

#3) From your experience and knowledge, were there any successful patients that really solved this Fistula problem? or 80% of patients have the Fistula problem after root canal?

'Thanks
I don't understand why my Fistula problem will come back EXACTLY 5-6 months. For example, January 2013 there will be a bump then it disappears. In June 2013, it will come back. Once it is gone. It will be January 2014.

Thanks
fistula_help is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote