View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I too have gone off all meds except Lidoderm patches and clonidine patches. I agree that the meds could have something to do with some of the issues you are having regarding sex...I know it was a side effect listed on a lot of the various meds I was on over the years when I was still taking them. That said...I also agree that it's a VERY fine line between pleasure and pain because I too am very hypersensitive. It's hard to find a comfortable balance too in letting your partner know what's good and what hurts...especially when those things can change from day to day. Like everything else in life you just have to find a balance and may just need to do things differently to achieve the same end result.

With regards to sleep...that's a tough one. I know two things have really helped me with regards to sleep as I experienced over a year where I was lucky if I got 3 hours of consecutive sleep and often would get less than 30 minutes at a time before waking up.

The first was that I started to sleep better the further along I got in physical therapy and the more "normal" my routine got. Get up in the morning, try to have a schedule of things to do throughout the day (which for a while was all my physical therapy exercises, taking the dog out, etc), and then go to bed at a reasonable hour every night (whether I slept or not). Gradually, as I became more and more active, I started sleeping a LITTLE better. Not much...but a little.

The biggest thing for me was a month or two after I started tDCS treatments I starting sleeping longer and better until now when MOST nights I get a good night's sleep of 6-8 hours. Every once in a great while if I'm dealing with a flare or extra pain I may have a sleepless night...but it's pretty rare now. I was able to get off the amitriptyline that I was taking to help me sleep before. I don't know how or why this worked but I cannot tell you what a positive affect this has had on my pain and my happiness and energy levels to get regular sleep again. I don't think I will ever take it for granted now. If I got no other benefit from tDCS besides the sleeping (and I did) then I would still think it was worth the $300 or so I invested in getting the machine and doing the treatments.

On the odd occasion now when I know that I NEED to get a full night's sleep I will sometimes take ZZZquil. It usually allows me to fall asleep earlier than I might otherwise (so if I need to be up for work at 3am I will take it at 7pm so I fall asleep earlier and can get a full night's sleep instead of falling asleep between 10-11 and only getting 4 hours). Maybe something like that could help you?
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote