View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default It just feels good

I understand the skepticism about exercise slowing the progression of PD but for me it is a moot point, I exercise because it makes me feel better. And if my PD progresses slower …YAHOO!

My regime for exercise is simple, just plain (as brisk as I can) walking. I’m too frugal to pay money to join a gym and I know I would not go consistently. I’ve been walking for 10 years, starting because of breast cancer treatment, currently hoping to help my PD. I take advantage of my walk and go through what I call “the files in my mind” aka things bothering me, deleting some, solving others.

I find it very therapeutic to also use visualization while I walk. For BC I would visualize Luke Skywalker searching for cancer cells and vaporizing them. Now I picture oil rigs deep in my brain, pumping that black gold dopamine while I hum the theme to the Beverly Hillbillies or young, or healthy neurons with arms and fingers stretching out forming synapses to the tune of Mighty Mouse…“Here I come to save the day!” Will it help my PD? I hope so, right now I can only say it helps me feel better. At the very least I get outside for an hour every morning enjoying nature and getting a dose of vitamin D!

Tomorrow night there is a program on the Connecticut PBS station called The Truth About Exercising with Michael Mosley, not PD specific but it might be informative. It is also being broadcast on other PBS stations and I’m sure it can be watched online after the broadcast date.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/apr/08...ichael-mosley/
Stand Tall is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MeAndPD (04-09-2013), Rob (11-21-2013), soccertese (04-09-2013)